Holiday Toxins

The holiday season is exciting, but it can also be dangerous for pets. Many popular plants and decorations pets eat or get into during the winter. Keep a list of these holiday toxins in mind to keep your pet safe and happy. You may bring payment help from United Pet Care or Pet Assure. Contact Mission Hills Pet Care Clinic in Mission Viejo, CA.

Holiday Toxins

Plant and Flower Toxins

Flowers can be toxic to pets. Lilies, in particular, can cause kidney failure in cats. Holly is another plant that can be poisonous to pets. Holly has spiny leaves that can irritate your pet's intestines and cause diarrhea or vomiting. Holly is also highly toxic to your pet's heart. It has been found to cause cardiovascular problems in pets and may also be associated with depression.

For example, fir tree oil can cause stomach discomfort if your pet ingests it. Likewise, Christmas tree needles can cause obstructions in pets to the point where you need further medical services.

Other decorative plants can also be dangerous to your pet. Christmas cacti, poinsettias, and holly are common examples. Decorative plants can cause mild gastrointestinal irritation but are unlikely to cause severe toxicosis. You need urgent care if your pet ingests a highly toxic plant.

Daffodils are one of the most poisonous plants. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Also, if your cat ingests the flowers or a daffodil bulb, your feline friend may develop a life-threatening condition known as daffodil toxicity.

Food Toxins

Chocolate can be a tasty holiday treat, but also poisonous to dogs. Chocolate contains two highly toxic chemical compounds. Depending on the amount your dog ingests, your canine friend might experience symptoms such as nausea, seizures, and kidney failure.

Grapes and raisins are a standard part of holiday meals. Although grapes are safe for human consumption, they can be highly toxic to dogs and cats.

Pet Dangers of Decorative Items

Additionally, old-fashioned bubble lights can irritate your pet's eyes and skin. Finally, bubble lights are not advisable for your pet because they contain methylene chloride, a substance that can cause various adverse effects on your pet's gastrointestinal tract.

Other decorative items, such as tinsel, can also be a hazard. Cats love to chew tinsel, which can cause them to swallow it and become ill. In addition, tinsel can get stuck in your cat's intestines and cause an obstruction. If your pet ingests tinsel, you must contact Mission Hills Pet Care Clinic in Mission Viejo, CA, as soon as possible.

Contact Our Veterinarian in MISSION VIEJO 

A veterinarian near me can help with pet toxin emergencies. If your animal has ingested any of these items, you must contact a veterinary professional as soon as possible. You can also visit the Pet Poison Helpline for more information. They can recommend the proper treatment for your pet, or you can make an appointment with your veterinarian. If you need more information, call us at (949) 206-1988 to schedule an appointment.


Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule


8:00 am

5:00 pm


8:00 am

5:00 pm


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am

5:00 pm


8:00 am

5:00 pm






Read What Our Clients Say